Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sex...

...without love. I love the use of similes that Sharon Olds uses at the beginning of the poem. I become intrigued as I read: "Beautiful as dancers, gliding over each other like ice-skaters". The title of the poem catches my attention because I immediately wonder if the poet is talking about sex literally or figuratively. Since I started reading poetry just a short time ago, I begin to think that she surely must be using "sex" figuratively. I'm surprised and I wonder if I am not reading far enough into the poet's meaning because I'm pretty sure she is talking about sex in the literal sense. So I read on… Olds uses words that profoundly draw a picture in my mind: "red as steak, wine, wet…" "light rising slowly as steam off their joined skin?" "the true religious, the purists, the pros…" I really like this poem it's different than what I have read before, it reads like something that truly relates to today's world.

3 comments:

  1. i really enjoy this poem. and i agree with you fully this is something that really affect today's world. i wonder what would be her thoughts about this new era on sex with out love

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this poem.i agree with you. it is happening in today world

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes--try to expand on your last comment. Here are some of my comments from previous blolgs:

    To get beyond the literal and judgmental aspects of the poem, see the Olds study sheet: How is the speaker both admiring and "deeply critical"? How is sex presented as both "desirable and frightening"? Look closely and the contrasts and ambiguity of the imagery, how each image condenses a lot: ice skaters, cutting figures in ice--a cold beauty; a sharpness and danger, brightness, pain, sterile beauty, artful precision; several other images also convey this ambivalent attitude, figuring the act as simultaneously (physically) hot and (emotionally) cold; an "art" that misses the mystery... an "art" in form, only?

    ReplyDelete